Sea Kayaking Practice Nights Info Packet
You’ll need to practice your skills between lessons at our free Practice Nights. Please review all of this information carefully at least one week prior to your lesson. You may contact us at any time with questions by calling 301-881-2628 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For expert service when purchasing paddling clothing or equipment, please visit our retail store at 9812 Falls Rd Potomac, MD 20854.
This packet contains the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- Please allow extra time for traffic so you can arrive and be prepared fifteen minutes prior to start time. (Late arrivals will not be admitted to skill nights under any circumstance.)
- Please get changed and collect your equipment from the trailer immediately so we can get started. Make sure your kayak is adjusted properly and that you have everything you need.
- You have up until 2 hours before start time to reschedule (please do so online). No-shows keep others from practicing.
- Personal floatation, paddle, spray skirt, and kayak are provided at no charge.
- You’ll spend half of your lessons in the water, literally. Paddling specific apparel is required. Don’t try to go on the cheap when it comes to your comfort. Visit our retail store for assistance with purchasing the right clothing for kayaking. A full 3mm wetsuit (covering arms and legs) is ok if you cannot swing a “layering system”, but you will eventually want better paddling clothing .
- Complete Package students may attend free Practice Nights indefinitely. Starter Package students may attend 2 free Practice Nights.
- All Practice Nights meet rain or shine. A decision to postpone due to lightning or other dangerous conditions is made on-site. (Due to the nature of the weather, we wait until the last minute to see if it clears up.)
- Don’t forget to allow time to go out for our social hour after Practice Nights.
- For your safety and enjoyment, we request that you keep your personal information up to date via your schedule page. Please log in and update your info at www.potomacpaddlesports.com.
List of Things to Bring
The following list of things to bring is for your comfort, safety, and enjoyment of your on-water experience with us. ALL ITEMS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Please call or visit our retail store for assistance. (See map and directions below.)
Save 10% on these items now! Use one-time code GEAR10 at checkout!
- Long-sleeved Paddling-specific semi-dry top (Yes, you really do need this to stay warm!)
- Synthetic under-layers
- 3mm neoprene pants or shorts June-August
- Bathing Suit and Rash Guard Year Round
- One liter of water
- Shoes or sandals - with a firm sole - that can get wet
- Waterproof snack (Clif Bar, etc.)
- Nose plugs and ear plugs (If you want to practice rolls or rescues)
- Allergy medication (We require medications for all severe reactions such as bee stings, peanuts, asthma, etc.)
- Sunglasses (A must for practice nights on the canal)
- Waterproof storage case for your keys and wallet that can be secured to your person or kayak
- Towel and change of clothes
- Q-tips (optional) Glasses or Contact Wearers:
- Eyeglass strap (So you don't lose your expensive prescription lenses)
- Note to those who wear contacts: Bring extra. You will need to close your eyes while underwater.
April–May and September
Directions to Our Retail Store
Our retail store (not lessons!) is located at 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, MD 20854. Our phone number is (301) 881-2628. Click on the Directions link in the map below for directions.
Directions to Lesson LocationDirections to Riley’s Lock in Poolesville, MD.
- Take exit 39 for River Rd/Rt-190 west toward Potomac
- Merge onto MD-190/River Rd
- After 11.5 miles, you will come to a dead end.
- Turn left onto River Rd
- After 0.7 miles, turn left onto Rileys Lock Rd.
- Proceed to a boat ramp on your right and parking area on your left. You will see a kayak trailer and a Potomac Paddlesports instructor in the parking lot on your left.
PLEASE have your clothing and supplies ready to go fifteen minutes prior to start time so that we can start promptly.
Note: Vehicles have been broken into at this parking lot. Please leave all valuables at home and bring a small drybox for your credit cards and cash. You can store your car key in a hidden key box on the underside of your fender.