Sea Kayaking Lesson 105: Open Water Info PacketPut your skills and knowledge to the test as we paddle out into the Chesapeake Bay! Please review all of this information carefully at least one week prior to your lesson. You may contact us at any time with questions by calling 301-881-2628 or emailing us at email@example.com.
This packet contains the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- A BOMBPROOF roll or self rescue in under 3 minutes, and all personal safety gear is required to participate in the Open Water lesson. (Union Jack underwear also helps, but is not required.)
- You have up to two years from your first lesson to complete any membership package.
- Please schedule or re-schedule your lessons online.
- You have up until 72 hours before a class’s start time to reschedule. Students who do not reschedule in time or who don’t show up forfeit their lesson. No exceptions are made to this policy and we do not offer refunds.
- Personal floatation, paddle, spray skirt, and kayak are provided at no charge.
- Please arrive and be prepared fifteen minutes prior to your lesson start time. (Late arrivals will not be admitted to class.)
- All lessons meet rain or shine. A decision to postpone due to lightning or other dangerous conditions is made on-site at the last possible minute. (Mother Nature often cooperates if we wait-and-see.)
- Paddling-specific apparel is required. Don’t try to go on the cheap when it comes to your comfort. Visit our retail store for assistance with purchasing the right clothing for kayaking. A full 3mm wetsuit (covering arms and legs) is okay if you cannot swing a full “layering system,” but you will eventually want better paddling clothing.
- Please do not wait until the last minute to purchase your clothing and accessories.
- During your lesson, store your car key in a “Hide-a-Key” box somewhere on your vehicle.
- Complete Package students may attend free Practice Clinics indefinitely.
- You may repeat any lesson at a discounted rate of 10%. Please call our registration office for further information.
- For your safety and enjoyment, we request that you keep your personal information up-to-date via your schedule page. Please log in and update your info at www.potomacpaddlesports.com.
List of Things to Bring
The following list of things to bring is for your comfort, safety, and enjoyment of your on-water experience with us. ALL ITEMS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Please call or visit our retail store for assistance. (See map and directions below.)
Save 10% on these items now! Use one-time code GEAR10 at checkout!
- Long-sleeved Paddling-specific semi-dry top (Yes, you really do need this to stay warm!)
- Synthetic under-layers
- 3mm neoprene pants or shorts June-August, or when temps are above 90 degrees
- Bathing Suit and Rash Guard Year Round
- Two liters of water
- Shoes or sandals - with a firm sole - that can get wet
- Waterproof snack (Clif Bar, etc.)
- Allergy medication (We require medications for all severe reactions such as bee stings, peanuts, asthma, etc.)
- Waterproof storage case for your keys and wallet that can be secured to your person or kayak
- Towel and change of clothes
- Q-tips (optional)
- Paddle float
- Bilge pump
- Rescue Step
- Rescue Knife
- Tow System Glasses or Contact Wearers:
- Eyeglass strap (So you don't lose your expensive prescription lenses)
- Note to those who wear contacts: Bring extra. You will need to close your eyes while underwater. (Swim goggles don’t work that well. A well fitting dive mask is ok while learning to roll.)
April-May and September, or when temps are below 90 degrees
Directions to Our Retail Store
Our retail store (not lessons!) is located at 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, Maryland 20854. Our phone number is (301) 881-2628. Click on the Directions link in the map below for directions.
Directions to Lesson LocationFor alternate routes, google “Park Road, Annapolis, MD 21403.”
- From Route 50, take exit 22 for Aris T. Allen Blvd—MD 665. (Aris T. Allen Blvd. will become Forest Drive.)
- After approximately 3.9 miles, turn left onto Hilltop Lane.
- After approximately 1.1 miles, turn left on Primrose Road.
- Proceed about 0.2 miles. Bear left at the fork in the road and proceed up on Park Road (unmarked).
- Park in the treed lot on your left near the restrooms. You will see a kayak trailer and instructors nearby.
Note: Vehicles have been broken into at this parking lot. Please leave all valuables at home and bring a small drybox for your credit cards and cash. You can store your car key in a hidden key box on the underside of your fender. style="border:0" frameborder="0" height="450" width="700">