Stand Up Paddling Practice Nights Info Packet
Thank you for registering for lessons with Potomac Paddlesports! This packet of information is provided to help keep you organized and ensure that you are fully prepared for your lessons. Please review all of this information carefully at least one week prior to your lesson. You may contact us at any time with questions by calling (301) 881-2628 or by emailing us at email@example.com.
For expert service when purchasing paddling clothing or equipment, please visit our retail store at 9812 Falls Rd Potomac, MD 20854. Thanks in advance for your patience and receptivity as a student! We look forward to paddling with you!
This packet contains the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- Please allow extra time for traffic so you can arrive and be prepared fifteen minutes prior to start time. (Late arrivals will not be admitted to skill nights under any circumstance.)
- Please get changed and collect your equipment from the trailer immediately so we can get started. Make sure your kayak is adjusted properly and that you have everything you need.
- You have up until 2 hours before start time to reschedule (please do so online). No-shows keep others from practicing.
- PFD (personal floatation device), paddle, helmet, and board are provided at no charge.
- You may fall in the water and should definitely dress to get wet! Paddling-specific apparel is recommended. Please don’t try to go on the cheap when it comes to your comfort. See the list of items to bring and visit our retail stores for assistance with purchasing the right clothing for paddling.
- Membership Package students may attend free Practice Nights indefinitely with your own equipment.
- All practice nights meet rain or shine. A decision to postpone due to lightning or other dangerous conditions is usually made on-site at the last possible minute. (Mother Nature often cooperates if we wait-and-see.)
- Don’t forget to allow time to go out for our social hour after Practice Nights.
- For your safety and enjoyment, we request that you keep your personal information up to date via your schedule page. Please log in and update your info at potomacpaddlesports.com.
List of Things to Bring
The following list of things to bring is for your comfort, safety, and enjoyment of your on-water experience with us. ALL ITEMS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Please call or visit our retail store for assistance. (See map and directions below.)
Save 10% on these items now! Use one-time code GEAR10 at checkout!
- Wetsuit (Yes, you really do need this to stay warm!) July–August, or when water temps are above 60 degrees:
- Lightweight, quick drying synthetic clothing (No cotton!) Best: bathing suit or board shorts and rash guard. Year-Round:
- Watershoes or sporty sandals that can get wet (No flip flops!). Neoprene booties with a rubber sole work great.
- Water and a snack to leave in your car for after your lesson or practice (We’ll burn calories!).
- Allergy medication (We require medications for all severe reactions such as bee stings, peanuts, asthma, etc.)
- Sunglasses with strap or SeaSpecs
- Towel and change of clothes to leave in your car for after your lesson or practice Glasses or Contact Wearers:
- Floating Eyeglass strap (So you don’t lose your expensive prescription lenses in the water)
April–May and September-October, or when water temps are below 60 degrees:
Directions to Our Retail Store
Our retail store (not lessons!) is located at 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, MD 20854. Our phone number is (301) 881-2628. Click on the Directions link in the map below for directions.
Directions to Lesson LocationAll Stand Up Paddling class are held at the Old Angler’s Inn parking area. For alternate routes, google 10801 Macarthur Blvd., Potomac, Maryland 20854.
From the Capital Beltway (I-495) take exit 41 toward Carderock/Great Falls, MD and merge onto the Clara Barton Parkway
Take the Parkway 1.7 miles until it ends at Macarthur Blvd., and then turn left onto Macarthur Blvd.
The parking area will be on your left across the street from the Old Angler’s Inn. Look for the Potomac Paddlesports Instructor. (Note: There are three separate lots at different levels. Please look around for us.)
PLEASE have your clothing and supplies ready to go fifteen minutes prior to start time so that we can start promptly.
Note: Vehicles have been broken into at this parking lot. Please leave all valuables at home and bring a small drybox for your credit cards and cash. You can store your car key in a hidden key box on the underside of your fender.