Advanced River Running Info PacketWe hope that you are enjoying your lessons so far! This packet contains information for ADVANCED RIVER RUNNING. REMEMBER this lesson is held at Lock 6 off Clara Barton Pkwy in Brookmont.
This packet contains the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- A reliable roll is required for Advanced River Running.
- If you have not been practicing between lessons, you will not be ready for this class.
- Please arrive and be prepared fifteen minutes prior to your lesson start time. (Late arrivals will not be admitted to class)
- You have up until 72 hours before start time to reschedule (please do so online). Students who fail to re-schedule in time or don’t show up forfeit their lesson. No exceptions are made to this policy and we do not offer refunds.
- You are required to provide your own river running or creeking kayak, and whitewater-quality paddle, PFD, helmet, and sprayskirt.
- Paddling specific apparel is required. Don’t try to go on the cheap when it comes to your comfort. Visit our retail store for assistance with purchasing the right clothing for kayaking.
- Please schedule or re-schedule your lesson online.
- You have up to two years from your first lesson to complete any membership package.
- Package students may attend Free Practice Clinics indefinitely.
- You may repeat any Lesson at a discounted rate of 10%. Please call our registration office for further information.
- All lessons meet rain or shine. A decision to postpone due to lightning or other dangerous conditions is made on site. (Due to the nature of the weather, we wait until the last minute to see if it clears up).
- For your safety and enjoyment, we request that you keep your personal information up to date via your schedule page. Please log in and update your info at www.potomacpaddlesports.com
List of Things to Bring
The following list of things to bring is for your comfort, safety, and enjoyment of your on-water experience with us. ALL ITEMS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Please call or visit our retail store for assistance. (See map and directions below.)
- River runner style whitewater kayak.
- Whitewater PFD, preferably rescue style
- Whitewater paddle, helmet, and sprayskirt
- Two liters of water
- Waterproof snack (Clif Bar, etc.)
- Allergy medication (We require medications for all severe reactions such as bee stings, peanuts, asthma, etc.)
- Paddling-specific clothing including neoprene booties. In addition to the required items mentioned above, we recommend the following items specifically for our Intermediate Level Whitewater Classes.
- First Aid Kit
- Rescue Gear
- Fully charged cell phone in waterproof container
Shop our entire online store! Boats, boards, Patagonia apparel, and more!
Directions to Our Retail Store
Our retail store (not lessons!) is located at 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, Maryland 20854. Our phone number is (301) 881-2628. Click on the Directions link in the map below for directions.
Directions to Lesson LocationLevel 2 Membership Lesson Advanced River Running is held at Lock 6 on the C & O Canal off the Clara Barton Parkway. You must be driving East on Clara Barton to access Lock 6 parking.
Coming from the West take the exit off 495 for Cabin John Pkwy to Clara Barton Pkway. Stay on Clara Barton Pkway and turn right once you see a sign for Lock 6 Parking.
PLEASE have all your clothing and supplies ready to go
fifteen minutes prior to start time so that we can start promptly.
Note: Vehicles have been broken into at this parking lot. Please leave all valuables at home and bring a small drybox for your credit cards and cash. You can store your car key in a hidden key box on the underside of your fender.