Whitewater Membership Practice Clinics Info Packet
You're going to need to practice a lot in order to be ready for your next class! This packet contains information for Level 1 Practice Clinics. REMEMBER: Practice Clinics are held at the Old Angler's Parking area at 10801 Macarthur Blvd., Potomac, Maryland 20854.
For expert service when purchasing paddling clothing or equipment, please visit our retail store at 9812 Falls Rd Potomac, Maryland 20854. Thanks in advance for your patience and receptivity as a student! We look forward to paddling with you!
This packet contains the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- Please allow extra time for traffic so you can arrive and be prepared fifteen minutes prior to start time. (Late arrivals will not be admitted to skill clinics under any circumstance.)
- Please get changed and collect your equipment from the trailer immediately so we can get started. Make sure your kayak is adjusted properly and that you have everything you need.
- You have up until 2 hours before start time to reschedule (please do so online). No-shows keep others from practicing.
- Personal floatation, paddle, spray skirt, helmet, and kayak are provided at no charge.
- You'll spend half of your lessons in the water, literally. Paddling specific apparel is required. Don't try to go on the cheap when it comes to your comfort. Visit our retail store for assistance with purchasing the right clothing for kayaking. A full 3mm wetsuit (covering arms and legs) is ok if you cannot swing a "layering system", but you will eventually want better paddling clothing.
- Package students may attend free Practice Clinics indefinitely.
- All Practice Clinics meet rain or shine. A decision to postpone due to lightning or other dangerous conditions is made on-site. (Due to the nature of the weather, we wait until the last minute to see if it clears up.)
- Don't forget to allow time to go out for our social hour after Practice Clinics.
- For your safety and enjoyment, we request that you keep your personal information up to date via your schedule page. Please log in and update your info at www.potomacpaddlesports.com
List of Things to Bring
The following list of things to bring is for your comfort, safety, and enjoyment of your on-water experience with us. ALL ITEMS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Please call or visit our retail store for assistance. (See map and directions below.)
Save 10% on these items now! Use one-time code GEAR10 at checkout!
April–June and September, or when temps are below 90 degrees:
- Long-sleeved Paddling-specific semi-dry top (Yes, you really do need this to stay warm!)
- Long-sleeved synthetic base layer (Yes, you really need this too for insulation!)
- Neoprene-lined shorts July–August, or when temps are above 90 degrees:
- Short-sleeved synthetic base layer (No cotton!)
- Surf trunks or neoprene-lined shorts Year-Round:
- Noze Bling (Kayak-specific nose plugs) are a MUST HAVE item
- Ear Plugs (To help prevent ear infections)
- Neoprene booties without laces or big straps. (No flip flops!)
- One liter of water
- Waterproof snack (Clif Bar, etc.)
- Allergy medication (We require medications for all severe reactions such as bee stings, peanuts, asthma, etc.)
- Sunglasses with strap or SeaSpecs
- Towel and change of clothes
- Q-tips (optional) Glasses or Contact Wearers:
- Eyeglass strap (So you don't lose your expensive prescription lenses)
- Note to those who wear contacts: Bring extra. You will need to close your eyes while underwater. (Swim goggles don't work that well. A well fitting dive mask is ok while learning to roll.)
Shop our entire online store! Boats, boards, Patagonia apparel, and more!
Directions to Our Retail Store
Our retail store (not lessons!) is located at 9812 Falls Road, Potomac, MD 20854. Our phone number is (301) 881-2628. Click on the Directions link in the map below for directions.
Directions to Lesson LocationLevel 1 Practice Clinics are held at the Old Angler’s Inn parking area. For alternate routes, google 10801 Macarthur Blvd., Potomac, Maryland 20854.
From the Capital Beltway (I-495) take exit 41 toward Carderock/Great Falls, MD and merge onto the Clara Barton Parkway
Take the Parkway 1.7 miles until it ends at Macarthur Blvd., and then turn left onto Macarthur Blvd.
The parking area will be on your left across the street from the Old Angler’s Inn. Look for the Potomac Paddlesports Trailer. (Note: There are three separate lots at different levels. Please look around for us.)
PLEASE have all your clothing and supplies ready to go fifteen minutes prior to start time so that we can start promptly.
Note: Vehicles have been broken into at this parking lot. Please leave all valuables at home and bring a small drybox for your credit cards and cash. You can store your car key in a hidden key box on the underside of your fender.